Friday, September 20, 2013

Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella in Manila

I was lucky to have witnessed Filipino Broadway theater actress Lea Salonga perform for a play, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella in 2009 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

It was the Cinderella's cast and crew's first time to put up a show in Manila which ran July 15 to 28, 2009. Then it was managed by an Australian production. 

Manila is actually their first stop in their Asia and US tour but they already nailed it. Like most of the renowned plays, Cinderella was able to capture the heart of the Filipinos especially that it was adapted from one of our favorite fairy tales. The shows were sold-out and it was truly lauded. I love their set. The carriage was very remarkable the casts were of course brilliant. I know that not everyone is fond of musicals but plays like these should also be appreciated because they are well-crafted since there must be a presence of good script, music and acting in one production. Here are some photo snippets of the day I watched Cinderella:

I adore this glass slipper. This is how the stage looks like during close-curtains/breaks.
The 2009 Cinderella poster
Since I can't take photos from the play proper, I took photos of the souvenirs outside the theater.
Shirts and caps 
Yay, pumpkins!
Some other displays
Cinderella's friend! Thought he was supposed to be a rat/mouse. Whatever rodent.
The precious glass slipper. Where we all know the twist originated from. Look there's a white mouse.
Well, this is a musical so...
This is what I took home. A key chain glass slipper. Too bad after some years it broke due to the tropical weather.
My ticket. Low quality, sorry. I wonder where this is now? Lost, maybe.
I'm hoping that that would not be the first and the last time I'd be seeing Miss Saigon, Salonga perform in theater (internationally).

This year Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella  will be staged again. This time Cinderella will be played our very own Karylle (alternating with Julia Abueva and Justine Pena) and her Prince Charming will be portrayed by the balladeer Christian Bautista (alternating with my crush, Fred Lo). It will be shown this October at the Newport Performing Arts Theater, Resorts World Manila. I am looking forward to these two talents. The play will be adapted to the Chinese version. Plus this is an all-Filipino cast, Filipino pride! Let's see how they would keep up with Ms. Lea Salonga. 
Cinderella poster (Photo Credits: Resorts World Manila)
For show schedules,

rates and ticket reservations you may check out the event on their website: Resorts World Manila (Cinderella). Hurry, reserve and avail your tickets before you leave your shoe and before the clock strikes 12!

No comments: